Newsd 1.44rc3 Available Nov 17, 2004
The third release candidate for Newsd 1.44 is now available for
Newsd 1.44rc3 fixes some packaging problems, fixed the date
header generation, implements automatic log rotation and logging
to a program, implements message ID lookups and automatic .info
file creation, and fixes a problem that would cause newsd to
incorrectly reuse deleted message IDs.
Newsd is a standalone local NNTP news server for private
newsgroup serving on a single server. It is useful for serving
private newsgroup(s) to an intranet or the Internet, and can act
as a simple mail gateway. However, it does not interface with
other news servers and cannot manage distributed news feeds,
i.e. Usenet news.
Changes in 1.44rc3:
- The makefile incorrectly tried to strip the inn2newsd.sh script on installation (Bug #476)
- The generated date reported the wrong day of the week (off by 1 day)
- Added "-t" option to default sendmail command.
- Added "-d" option to run newsd in the foreground with full debugging to stderr.
- Added daemonization when running in the background: redirect stdio and call setsid().
- Changed default for "Listen" to "Listen nntp".
- Fixed getservbyname() error message.
- Small fixes to echo announcements in news.sh
- Added extra error checking for unknown args + conf commands
- You can now log to a program by starting the log file name with a pipe ("|" - Bug #472)
- Added MaxLogSize to newsd.conf and log rotation stuff (Bug #472)
- Implemented message lookups by message ID (Bug #468)
- The Server class no longer uses the "find" command to get a list of newsgroups (Bug #465)
- Group::Post() didn't start at the last message, so it could reuse deleted message IDs and cause the end ID to be incorrect (Bug #466).
- Group::BuildInfo() is now implemented so that it is no longer neccessary to create the .info file in the inn2newsd.sh script (Bug #467)